The Helen S. Schaefer Scholarship at the University of Arizona supports women who are entering their sophomore, junior, or senior year of study at the University of Arizona with a major in science, engineering, or mathematics and who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better. The amount of the award may vary, depending upon the determination of the award committee, but will be approximately $500-$1500; scholarships are decided on by the scholarship commit which may include members of the WISE Advisory Board and Dr. Helen Schaefer. The award can be “renewed”, but only by a new application each year which will be in competition with new applicants. The award is only to be used for tuition and fee support and is subject to approval by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Must be a female student enrolled at the University of Arizona
- Must be entering her sophomore, junior or senior year of undergraduate study in good standing
- Must be pursuing a major in science, engineering, or mathematics
- Must have an overall grade point average of 3.5 or better
- Must demonstrate financial need; this can be demonstrated by a FAFSA summary form. For international students, consult the "international students" contact Jill Williams at JillMWilliams@arizona.edu for more information on meeting this requirement.
- Complete the scholarship application, available via the link below.
- As part of the application, each candidate is required to submit a short essay (maximum 500 words) via the applicaiton portal. This should discuss nclude career goals and details about financial need.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need by uploading their FAFSA summary in the electronic application portal.
For more information and to access the application click HERE. Applications must be received by 11:59pm November 15, 2021
Please note that due to the high volume of applications for WISE travel stipends and scholarships, we can only contact the students who have been chosen to receive funding from WISE. All winners will be contacted within a month of the application deadline.