The Helen S. Schaefer Scholarship at the University of Arizona supports students who are entering their sophomore, junior, or senior year of study at the University of Arizona with a major in science, engineering, or mathematics and who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better. The amount of the award may vary, depending upon the determination of the award committee, but will be approximately $500-$1500; scholarships are decided on by the scholarship committee which may include members of the WISE Advisory Board and Dr. Helen Schaefer. The award can be “renewed”, but only by a new application each year which will be in competition with new applicants. The award is only to be used for UArizona tuition and fee support and is subject to approval by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Please note that due to the high volume of applications for WISE scholarships, we can only contact the students who have been chosen to receive funding. All winners will be contacted within a month of the application deadline.
Visit the College of Humanities website, for more information on Helen S. Schaefer's life and legacy, visit here.
- Must be a student enrolled at the University of Arizona
- Must be entering sophomore, junior or senior year of undergraduate study in good standing
- Must be pursuing a major in science, engineering, or mathematics
- Must have an overall grade point average of 3.5 or better
- Must demonstrate financial need; this can be demonstrated by a FAFSA summary form. For international students, contact Stephanie Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on meeting this requirement.
Application Instructions: Please complete the electronic application form (link below) and upload all required documents including: unofficial UA transcript; FAFSA summary; 1000 word essay describing academic/career goals & commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion in your chosen STEM field.