WISE provides internship opportunities for students interested in developing skills in community and campus outreach, public relations, and program development and implementation. Throughout the internship period, interns will have the opportunity to be directly involved in program development, implementation, and evaluation. WISE internships are particularly well-suited for students with an interest in issues of diversity, experiential education, and STEMM outreach. Through our for-credit internship program, students can receive course credit through the department of Gender and Women's Studies or their home department for at least 10 hours of work with WISE per week. As one intern from spring 2009 explained her experience as an intern:
"Being an intern for WISE was a wonderful experience for me. Throughout my life, I have always had people encouraging me to do the things that I loved--math and science being two of those things. This internship allowed me to give back some of that knowledge and experiences by helping encourage younger students to pursue careers in STEM fields."
-Kiona Meade, Bio-systems Engineering
General Qualifications for all WISE Interns:
- Able to work minimum 10 hours/week (or minimum required by the department in which you are getting internship credit)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite:
- Required - Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Preferred - Access and Publisher
- Ability to interact professionally and politely with WISE staff and affiliates, whether in person, by email, or by phone
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Supportive of WISE mission and goals
- Flexibility in terms of schedule - some weeks may require more hours while others will require fewer. Overall an intern's hours should balance out by the end of the semester. Some weekend and evening work will be required, depending on scheduled events (i.e. the spring EYH conference is held on a Saturday and interns will be expected to participate all day).
- Pro-active in completing assignments and anticipating tasks that will need to be completed
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment